11 Jan 2009

Windows 7 and Visual Studio 2008

I've now been using Windows 7 Beta since release to MSDN subscribers, and am pretty chuffed with it. The new Taskbar is a joy to use, and the whole thing is very stable :)

I've only one niggle with it and that is that when I'm trying to add 3rd party controls to Visual Studio via the browse assemblies dialog, VS2008 has a think, throws a silent fit and disappears. This doesnt happen when adding references.

Has anyone else had experience of this? I shall do some digging and see if I can isolate it a bit more :)

2 comments:

Neil Robbins said...

Hi John,

I've seen something like this, the difference being it was not with Windows 7. For me it was down to one of the references paths in the registry. I found that by going through and removing them one by one, that the path to one of the third party toolsets I had installed was causing the issue for me.

Check the keys in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/.NETFramework/v2.0.50727/AssemblyFoldersEx and HKLM/Software/Microsoft/.NETFramework/AssemblyFolders

John Price said...

This also blows up if you have the Power Commands For VS 2008 1.0 installed.